Tuesday, July 26, 2011

IntaPodcast

Following our conversation about gaming in class. I feel that I must refute one of the main points that were brought up against gaming before I continue about my post about Podcasts.
If one compares DotA to Basketball, they are strikingly similar when it comes to strategy in the mind, perhaps even more so as DotA has 104 different characters with 115 different items creating much complexity alone, without even considering the complexity of the agency of players using them. One can argue that Basketball engages the players physically and is a form of exercise, I do not dispute that at all, I am just proposing that DotA is a viable example that gaming can create an atmosphere conducive to learning, building key aspects of how one operates in the world.

One of my buddies brought up a point that in terms of communication in games, his experience was that it was rather anti-team-building and that most of the communication was badmouthing. While I do not dispute this, I would point to my example about basketball. There are countless examples of badmouthing in baketball games especially when competition is high, or if one player is not playing well. The same way in DotA. Especially when one enters the realm of professional level of playing (basketball or DotA), there is much clearer communication and affirmation in a team. Yet I would like to direct your attention to an instance in professional basketball now popularly referred to as The Brawl which occurred in Detroit when NBA players Ron Artest, Jermaine O'Neal, and Stephen Jackson were knocking out fans (not even players!) during a game against the Indiana Pacers. One cannot disagree that basketball does not have an aspect of team-building. In the same way, I would say DotA has just as much team-building potential as basketball does.

Moving onwards, class last Friday was my first time making a podcast. We were assigned to create a podcast where we advertised an Edublogger that we follow. Mine was about Larry Ferlazzo, an edublogger in the realm of ELL, ESL, and EFL. I partnered up with another buddy of mine and we mixed it up with a few Korean Pop songs by After School and 2pm for the introduction. This was the first time I was on the creation end of this type of media and it was absolutely fascinating. I was reminded of one of my good friends who was a former MAC'er who was a teacher at Northville High who would make a (shorter) podcast for his lectures for students who missed class or for students to review material. Podcasts were thus his way to supplement his lectures. It sounds really cool. I hope I will be able to utilize this in the classroom in the future! Time to go figure out how to use garage band to make longer clips, and perhaps record a few of my songs.

4 comments:

  1. Okay...so GarageBand is a pretty cool Mac feature. I will concede on that point. I've never thought of using it for podcasts, but it's fun to play around with for music.

    haha, unrelated thought: you should incorporate music into teaching...yeyuh? During spring quarter, Thompson had an exhibit on Benjamin Franklin, and a string quartet played a concert titled "Music That Benjamin Franklin Heard."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - For recording lectures, I like Voice Memos on my iPhone (I think you have one, too?). I transfer it via iTunes and then ... wait for it ... wait for it ... drop it into my public Dropbox and right-click so that Dropbox will give me a URL to share with others. Easy-peasy. (And another chance to mention the helpfulness of Dropbox.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you said, there is good and bad to go with every interest. After the Pacers-Pistons brawl, the NBA started up their "NBA Cares" commercials trying to show their players and organizations in a better light. Maybe the gaming industry needs to take advantage of their infamy and show positives from their product. There's got to be some legit research out there. If I could control video game usage, I might be willing to incorporate it into a specific class with a specific group of students. There are lots of ifs and variables, but if it gets students to engage and think, why not?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice example about your friend using podcasts - shorter versions of lectures might be really helpful for students to review and recall what has been gone over in class! It has so many uses and I am glad I actually know how to make one!

    Interesting comparison on video games - I think that at the right place in the right context they can certainly be useful!

    ReplyDelete